The Historic Alano Club of St. Joseph, Missouri, is one of a few original Alano Clubs formed in the 1940′s and continuing to operate in their original facility. That original facility is a historic mansion located in the Museum Hill Historic Neighborhood in St. Joseph, Missouri.
Contact us at:
ADDRESS: 401 S 11th St.; St Joseph, MO
PHONE NUMBER: (816) 364-9179
The Alano Club of St. Joseph was founded in 1948 as Alano Mercy Hospital – it was chartered as a four bed hospital for the purpose of helping alcoholics in detoxification and for providing meeting space for AA and for AA Family Groups. Times changed. In 1952 Narcotics Anonymous was founded as the second 12 Step program. In 1956 Gamblers Anonymous was founded as a 12 Step Program. Also in 1956 the American Medical Association declared Alcoholism a disease. That declaration meant alcoholics could be treated in hospital emergency rooms and that insurance companies would cover costs of treatment.
The consequences of these changes prompted the Board of Directors of the Alano Club of St. Joseph to update their charter. The mission now reflects the support of all 12 Step Programs.
Alcoholics Anonymous, with roots to 1935, exploded in growth in the early 1940′s. Many recovering alcoholics wanted to meet more often, and not be restricted to member’s homes or church basements. Alcoholics Anonymous has a tradition of not owning property – so they consented to individual groups who wished to purchase property – allowing only that AA would rent space but not participate in the building operation, ‘…lest problems of money, property, and prestige interfere with our primary purpose.” An arms-length relationship was formed.
The first AA group in St. Joseph was formed in 1943. That group of progressive people chartered the Alano Club of St. Joseph, inc. on July 17 1948. Mrs. Hax, the widow of George Hax, bequeathed building to the St. Joseph Art Association in 1947. The newly chartered Alano Club of St. Joseph purchased the property, did some basic remodeling, and opened the Alano Club in 1949. The doors have never closed since.